Saturday, September 23

Sometimes it's hard to leave the industry

Where I'm from in the Midwest, many stay in the service industry their entire lives. There is loyalty to the place and they almost become a town celebrity. Without sounding too cliche, it is nice to go to a place where everyone knows your name..(and their always glad you came). OK, I'll stop now and just take the time to wish Phyllis Elkins a happy retirement!

Waitress Retires After 60 Years
Posted Friday, September 22, 2006 ; 03:31 PM

After waiting on some pretty famous people, one Huntington woman is hanging up her apron.
Story by Gina Long Email | Bio

Waitress Phyllis Elkins is retiring after working for Jim's Steak and Spaghetti House in downtown Huntington for 60 years.

Thursday, people poured into the restaurant to say goodbye to Elkins.

She started at Jim's when she was just 15-and-a-half years old.

She says she's been there through it all. She waited on John F. Kennedy during his campaign trip to Huntington in 1960.

In fact, she's featured in a picture of JFK over the booth where he sat.

"He came in one morning, when he was campaigning and there was about 8 or 10 other people with him. Of course, I was young enough, I didn't pay much attention to it. You know, I wasn't in politics or anything. But anyway, he was sitting over there and looked up at me and asked me if I minded having my picture taken and I told him it was my pleasure," Elkins fondly remembers.

And Elkins isn't the only one who put in some long hours at Jim's Steak and Spaghetti House.

Sharon Price retired this year after working at the restaurant for 40 years, but managers say she still comes back to help out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home