Thursday, September 14

Question of the Day

Thanks to my friend that called last night and asked me this question, I didn't have to think of a good post today! I've had a hectic week, but stay tuned because I will be airing my first podcast soon! Anyways, back to the question of the day....

Do you tip on carry out from a restaurant?

No. I usually leave a couple of dollars just because I'm crazy, but it is not expected. I did work at a restaurant where a server had to ring in the take out order, box it all up and do the financial transaction (all while handling their tables)...and I appreciated if someone gave me a dollar or two for the effort. Final answer, it is not expected. Usually in this case a smile and a "thank you" are more than enough, but if you feel the urge, leave a buck or two (if you feel like someone deserves it)!

4 Comments:

Blogger Swa said...

How do you deal with the occasional group of tourists who order round after round of drinks, don't clean up after themselves, pollute the bar with their B.O. (from Ireland this lot was from), then walk out without leaving any kind of tip whatsoever???

WTF!

9/15/2006 7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're outta your mind. Carry out is one of the biggest pains in the butt there is and encroaches on the limited time I have to take care of my bar customers (the one's I make a living from).
To have to interrupt the flow of anything you may be trying to accomplish for the constantly ringing phone...going to the kitchen to ask if we can do whatever weird request they may have...waiting for people to stop stammering and hemming and hawing while you have 50+ other things you can , no, NEED to take care of at the same time.

My carry out stiffs are roundly despised.

9/18/2006 5:28 AM  
Blogger shines said...

I'm with the commenters on this one. i always heard that 10% was minimum for take out orders because there's always packaging and payment.

9/19/2006 3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, no. When I go to a fast food restaurant and order take out food, I usually don't tip. However, if I sense that the person on the other side of the counter has had the makings of a shitty day, I will leave a loonie or a toonie for them.

12/31/2006 4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home